Materia Medica Tips – 15
This is one of common acid remedies which is useful in many conditions. It has found a place on our tables as food additive (in diluted form), a preservative and as an intermediate in the chemical industry. This remedy has few incidences behind its pathogenesis before being adopted an important place in homeopathic materia medica.
“A young woman once took a small glass of this substance daily to reduce weight and to look slim, but very soon she started losing flesh and color. Within a month cough, fever, dyspnoea, night sweat, dropsy and diarrhoea occurred.”
“A young German after working twelve months in a vinegar factory was obliged to leave from service, because of suffering from indigestion, dyspnoea and fatigue.”
In the proving of this remedy, these are also the important features found in the provers.
If we talk of ailments from then we have:
- Injuries: The injury is usually mechanical but can be psychological also, as it surgical conditions.
- After surgical shock
- Anesthesia: Bad effect of Anesthesia
- Vinegar: Excessive use of Vinegar as a food
- Stings and bites of wasps and insects
While talking of Guiding features we should not miss:
- Great prostration: after injuries (which is also found in Acid sulphuricum); after surgical shock; after anesthetics.
- Thirst: intense, burning, insatiable even for large quantities in dropsy, diabetes, chronic diarrhea; but no thirst in fever.
- Hemorrhage: from every mucous outlet, nose, throat, lungs, stomach, bowels, uterus (This must be compared with important remedies like Ferrum metallicum and Millefolium); metrorrhagia; vicarious; traumatic epistaxis (Arnica).
- Diarrhoea: copious, exhausting, great thirst; in dropsy, typhus, phthisis; with night sweats.
- Hectic fever: with cough, dyspnoea, diarrhoea, night-sweats, edema and emaciation.
Constitutionally it is adapted to pale lean persons with lax, flabby muscles; face pale, waxy (Ferr.) and to children suffering from Marasmus and other wasting diseases. The similar remedies can be Abrotanum, Iodum, Sanicula, and Tuberculinum.
I hope you must have guessed the remedy by now!
The remedy is ACETIC ACID!
Disclaimer: This post is not a medical consultation/endorsement. The information presented at this website is copyright to Dr Saurav Arora. At no point in time, the information is given at this website to be adopted or modified for medical/legal consultation. For a consultation contact your healthcare provider or visit us at our website/clinic.