Homeopathy, and Cancer Care
Cancer and its complications still remain of the leading causes of the deaths worldwide. In the past few decades, it has spread like a fire and continues to do so. It is estimated that worldwide deaths due to cancer would rise to 11.5 million every year by 2030. But this data is still under-reported and less understood. The magnitude of the problems are multi-fold and beyond imagination. With the increasing burden, equal responsibility lies to identify and imply the effective modes of treatment. In this context, along with conventional medicines, complementary and alternative modes of treatment play (and have the capability to play) a vital role in patient care. The Venkateshwar Hospital, Dwarka, the Homoeopathic Medical Association of India, Delhi Branch, and Dr. B. R. Sur Homoeopathic Medical Collge (SHMC) Alumni Association came forward to hold the joint CME on “Holistic Approach Towards Cancer Care: Abridging The Gaps with Homeopathy“, held at Venkateshwar Hospital, Dwarka on 23 Sept 2018. This CME on Holistic Approach Towards Cancer Care is a step towards the better understanding of Cancer, Holistic Management and Cross referral system.
Key Speaker: Dr Kuldeep Sharma, Senior Consultant, Radiation Oncology
- Dr Kuldeep Sharma
- Dr Arun Giri, Surgical Oncologist
- Dr AK Gupta, President, HMAI Delhi
- Dr Neeraj Pasricha, Member, HMAI Delhi
- Dr Sandeep Kaila, President, SHMC Alumni Association
- Dr Saurav Arora, General Secretary, HMAI Delhi
- Dr Mayur Jain, Member, HMAI Delhi
Below are the key points which were deliberated at the CME:
- There is a need to better understand the role of every pathy/branches of medical science for the benefit of the patient.
- There is a lack of communication, not even amongst patient-doctor, but amongst specialities also.
- We must always be suspicious of the unusual symptoms, erroneous reports, and symptoms which do not quickly respond to medicines.
- Nowadays, due to advancement in the techniques, and sophisticated approaches the side effects of Radiation/Chemotherapy are lessened and can be predicted/dealt on time.
- Early Diagnosis – Better Treatment
- Due to a compromise in immunity, a cancer patient is more exposed to other infections and co-morbidities.
- There must be a judicial use of investigative modalities. It is commonly observed that either the investigations are delayed or given too much of undue attention. For example as in the case of Positron Emission Tomography which is only indicated in specialized cases and must be interpreted with care. “Correct Interpretation of the Investigations is a Must”.
- Correct staging and diagnosis of the condition remain the key point towards better understanding cancer.
- Patients are closer to their family physicians than super-speciality doctors and therefore, it becomes the responsibility of the family physician to support and help them in tough times, in close association with the treating physician.
- Ethical Issues: These are of prime importance as the patient is more aware, educated and alert. Also, while treating a terminal/ noncurable/chronic ailment it becomes the responsibility of the physician to safeguard his as well patient’s rights. Therefore, written informed consent is mandatory.
- Homeopathy has been used in cancer since inception. Our materia medica and literature is loaded with treatise for how to deal the pre, post and diagnosed cases of cancers both on the basis of symptomatology and pathology.
- There is much room for research in the said field. Cancer understanding as well research in homeopathy are booming field where we need quality research.
- Homeopathic medicines are ultrahigh diluted medicines, therefore, there are no chances of any heavy metal, extracts or residual effects of homeopathic medicines. Therefore, homeopathic medicines can be safely taken along with conventional medicines and therapies.
- Substantial work is being undertaken to study the usefulness of Homeopathy as Add-On Therapy. In a study undertaken at Medical University, Vienna, the patient’s survival data were analyzed, especially in cases where homeopathy was used as Additive Therapy. It was observed that survival time (6 months to 12 months) was improved statistically.
- In post-operated/post radiated cases where there are some or other side effects, homeopathy has a very good role to play. In a study from Vienna 25 post-radiated cases of Breast cancer, suffering from severe itching were offered homeopathic treatment. Major remedies were used – Acidum flouricum, Psorinum, X ray and Kali bichromicum. Majority of the patients were benefitted.
- We may practice the open prescription pattern in special cases as in cancer which will help better understanding of our medical counterparts.
- We should offer a Psychological support to the patient as well as family members.
The Panel & Open House Discussion was actively participated by panellists and doctors. It was very good to see the mutual agreements and understanding of various aspects of cancer and homeopathy.
Let us take Homeopathy to newer heights by mutual cooperation, active participation and upgrading Homeopathy at every front.
Dr Saurav Arora
Disclaimer: This post is not a medical consultation/endorsement. The information presented on this website is copyrighted to Dr Saurav Arora. At no point in time, the information is given at this website to be adopted or modified for medical/legal consultation. For a consultation contact your healthcare provider.